JP Meeting Minutes
In attendance: Lea, Chrissy, Laura, Jake, Jim Yoder, Katie
@MIT: Gabi, Eesh
Absent: Nathan, Kevin
- Lots of cars at Oyster Pond (44 cars??) for only 28 spots.
- Possible way to distribute spots: incoming JP students get the first few, and the rest are distributed between SSFs and current JP students.
- Past policy was that SSFs have priority on the grocery store shuttle, so we need to make sure that first year students have access to the store too
- Another possibility: special pass for parking at OP that can get passed around
- Can we prioritize people who are there more often? For example, someone who is there all days has higher priority than someone there twice a week?
- Pass per OP house that gets shared
- Repaint the lines on the parking lot? Currently willy nilly* parking.
- What will happen to guests or to people who don’t have the sticker? Will cars get towed?
- Jim will take our ideas into consideration and will come back to a meeting in the summer to reassess.
- There is a relatively new HR staff member that is implementing a few new policies, including this policy on consensual relations
- 3 options: have no policy, have one similar to what got sent out to reps (everyone treated equally, relationships between supervisor-supervisee need to get reported), another option is excluding students (aka staff can’t date students)
- Another idea would be a code of conduct that would include graduate students (ie remember that your responsibility is to mentor/help/give science to grad students, not date them)
- Reps will ask for feedback and share it with Jim anonymously. Gabi will send the form to everyone.
- Geo (Nathan) - absent
- AOPE (Katie) - June 12-14th. first one! department seminar is scheduled (special seminar). Bio is going to help them with setup and hosting, in particular, the BBQ!
- Chem (Kevin) - absent
- Laura will draft, but would like comments about what to emphasize in the body of the letter beyond just a welcome and a congratulations on the appointment
- Laura has the letter that was sent to Dean Ortiz in 2016 and can also use this as an example of what content to provide
- Pretty low attendance, missing all of the commuting students
- Should we keep doing social hours with minimal attendance? Don’t want to waste food
- We will wait until summer begins to run some high volume social hours
- Need help May 31st
- Will move out of Tang 31st, into Sidpac on June 1st
- Emailed Sebastian about the kayaks, they are outside already and he is happy to still be Kayak Czar
- Send out waiver forms again
- Need to pick a date
- Don’t want to overload new students with all the free food and fun
- Needs to be after the retreat (last student comes 7/14, retreat is 7/10 - 7/11).
- APO is doing a welcome lunch on 7/24
- Weekday will conflict with softball, so would need to go somewhere else
- Let’s do July 14th! Looking at Redfield lawn, 4 PM. Go big or go home. Plan in tandem with first-years (starfish). Open to all students.
- Eesh will send an email to starfish + jellyfish to help plan for sea cucumbers arrival